Sunday, March 12, 2006

Outwardbuzz

Steve Sjogren writes

I was hoping that my incredible experience would capture the attention of the reading public of America. I hope that each reader would become curious about a new kind of spirituality – seeing the real Jesus, the Jesus who came to model living to us, to show us how we are to live as servants, to be generous givers, and to serve our cities until we have gained the right to be trusted or listened to.

In the eyes of the culture we are takers. We hold so little sway in the eyes of the culture around us. The reputation of Christians is arguably at an all-time low point. I quit telling people I was a pastor a long time ago. When people on planes ask what I do I usually tell them that I am a “motivational speaker” or a “teacher” or an “author” – I know that if I tell them that I’m a pastor the conversation will come to an immediate halt.

The word “Christian” has lost its meaning. “Christ-follower” communicates much better. As soon as outsiders pick up on an agenda of any sort, they disengage in the conversation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home