Sunday, September 25, 2005

I dig that sax!

I have a friend that pastors CELEBRATION Fellowship so I decided to pay a visit, unannounced. I prepared by visiting their website for directions and other information. The site promised to be seeker-friendly and offer a theraputic application of the good news. You may visit for yourself @ www.celebrationnet.com. Gail and our friend Darrell went with me. It was nice to have the shared experience and their perspectives.

Drove in just as the 9:00 service was exiting. There were cars and foot traffic all around. Luckily there was an available parking space in the guest parking area which was located conveniently near the main entrance. Members and "regular attenders" parked in gravel lots on the lawn. As we parked, I noticed several people wearing casual wear, e.g. jeans or shorts.

As we entered the outer doors of the building there were two ladies handing out programs. Each was wearing a badge identifying them a usherettes?. It was a little congested in the breezeway and foyer. To the right and a little behind us was an area for coffee and donuts. It was a little too crowded to participate. I think that the nursery area was that direction also, but we were hustling into the worship center and were not need of those services. We made our way in with the others who were gathering and found a place to sit. The chairs were plastic, molded folding chairs and they were a little close together. It was probably to increase seating capacity and the service was full but not over-crowded.

There was a couch center stage with a small table. Behind the couch was the choir area. It had been converted to an area for the praise band, which included a sax (actually a pair though played by the same individual). The lead guitar and the sax contributed to the worship time with appropriate solo interludes. A ladies trio assisted the leader with vocals. The music consisted of a series of praise choruses but was moving and energetic. An atmosphere of free worship permeated the room. There was freedom to sit or stand, clap and sing or respond with contemplative silence. The visual elements contributed to my experience and were not distracting.

There was a drama skit that followed the music (this explains the presence of the couch at center stage). It was appropriate for the morning's sermon and done well.

Now I've known James for years. I had warned those who were with me to buckle-up. When he hit the stage, it was petal-to-the-metal. Knowing his background in Biblical languages I was prepared to received something new to think about. I was also prepared to "listen quickly." It's kinda like hopping on a treadmill that's already in motion. You'd better match the pace quickly or you're in going to be in deep trouble.

The service ended without an invitation or alter-call. That's a new experience for me though for years I did it that way in youth ministry every week. Afterwards, the pastor came by to harrass me and let me know that he'd spotted me in the crowd. We talked briefly about the ministry of the fellowship and their contextualiztion of their vision.

It was a great experience of worship and encouraging to know that God is still at work in simple lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home