Monday, May 09, 2005

Inside the noise

Sometimes I wonder if the mission gets lost in all of the religious posturing and rhetoric. Isn’t it enough for each of us to respond to the vision God gives and let Him sort out all of the rest? I find myself wanting to justify this new direction and legitimize my efforts in the eyes of others. It is, at times, disconcerting to try to explain why I’m called to move on while others stay. I know it would be acceptable, even commendable, if I were starting “another one” (just like the one I’ve called home). From their comfort they look at me with suspicious eyes and furrowed brows and a tone in their voice as if to say, “What’s wrong with what we’re doing?” Yet that’s the point. Our “doing” comes out of who we have become. Who we have become are people who are withdrawn and isolated, focused on our needs, out of touch with world around us and the context of the Gospel that we cherish.

I don’t mean to be critical. There is place in the Kingdom for their labors as well. Perhaps I’m just projecting my guilt for limiting my faith to mostly verbal expression and abstract thinking. I’ve been a student of the game and not a player. A priori aside. It’s time for a postiori.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home